You may like a girl when you see her for the first time with a mutual friend, or you may want to explore your ‘friendship’ with a girl and see where it goes. Either way, “How to ask a girl out on a date,” depends on how well you know the girl. It is easier if you know the girl, her interests, her background, and if there are common likes. On the other hand, if the girl is a stranger you fancy, asking her out should be handled with more care. Dating can be quite simple if you just know the right way to approach it.
So, here are the 6 easy tips on how to ask a girl out on a date:
1. What she likes: This is a broad bucket. But a thumb rule to know what she likes is to know how she spends her time. Ask her what she does on her weekends, what she does in her free time, what her hobbies are. She may be a girl who likes to party and dance or she may be the type who treks and travels during her weekends. Either way, get her to talk about what she likes before asking her out. This is the most foolproof way to have a great start to the conversation, because you would like to know about her. There is nothing more genuine that to show (and mean it) that you are genuinely interested in her as a person and her life.
Image source: Pixabay under Creative Commons License
2. Who her friends are: Is she a social bee who has a lot of friends or is she a reserved type who has “a few” good friends. Knowing this may give you a clue as to how open and receptive she would be to your proposal for a date. With some girls, it is best to know them for a sufficiently long time so that they get comfortable around you; with some others who are more open to new experiences, a week or even a few days of regular interaction is enough to ask her out. This will give you an idea of she is in social scenarios, whether she is an introvert or an extrovert and what kind of conversations she appreciates.
3. Where she would be comfortable: This is a little tricky unless you know the girl for at least a month or so. Some girls would prefer a cafe such as CCD or Barista – the typical date venues, while some others may prefer a movie or a play, or even a vibrant, energetic place like a pub. When you ask a girl out, it is always good to check if she is comfortable with the venue. It is better to know beforehand, than to get there and find out that she’s not entirely comfortable.
Now that you are armed with the right information, let us look at the part of asking itself –
1. If you have just met her recently: If she is a stranger or if you know her only very briefly, it is better to be straight and offer a “Hey, I was wondering if you would be free this weekend? Maybe we we could grab a cup of coffee? I heard of a new cafe near your place which supposedly has the best board games!” Be polite and genuine. The key is to get her to think that it is going to be a chilled out, fun time and to make her feel, ‘it might actually be nice to spend a few hours with this guy’. But if you’re the shy type, it takes a bit of prepping before doing the actual asking. Remember, half the battle is convincing yourself – she probably already likes you and is waiting for you to ask her out!
Image source: Shutterstock
2. She is a friend of a friend: If the girl is a friend of a friend, I would say, it is better to let your friend know and seek his or her opinion before asking the girl out. This way, your friend can give you some background about the girl that can make the date go well or may even give their opinion that you may not be compatible. To be sure, do not get biased by your friend’s opinion about her – the whole point is to discover her for yourself. That is the joy and excitement of dating.
3. She’s a friend: There’s another scenario that you need to consider. If you are asking your friend out for a date, make sure she understands that it is a date. Here, you can be humorous and direct so that she is not surprised. If you feel that she is surprised, give her time to think and consider the implications. After all, you would not want to lose your friendship. Catch her when she’s comfortable and relaxed, or even on a phone call. You might also do the gentlemanly thing of assuring her that you value her friendship deeply and she need not worry about that. That you are interested in exploring further. This might put her at ease and take the pressure off so she can think in relative peace.
In any case, sincerity is infectious. A girl can easily read a guy’s intentions. So, in most cases, when your intent is sincere, she is more likely to respond positively.
So what are you waiting for? Stop second guessing yourself and go ask her out!