Fear – in simple terms, it means to be afraid of something or someone. But what if rules your life? Takes over your life to such an extent that you are unable to go about your daily life? Although some people do deal with this kind of crippling fear of certain things, significant improvement can be seen with the right kind of medical attention and therapy.
While we know of certain common phobias like fear of heights (acrophobia), fear of open spaces (agoraphobia), and fear of clowns (coulrophobia), there are still more unusual phobias that have the potential to ruin your love life. How, you wonder? Let’s take a look at some of the unusual phobias, that will give a whole new meaning to fear, when used in the context of a relationship.
1. Androphobia: Fear of men
What?! Yes, this is a totally legit fear for some people.
2. Anophelophobia: Fear of painful sexual intercourse
Ouch! Imagine yourself in the middle of foreplay, and this fear is triggered? No idea what would happen though.
3. Anuptaphobia: Fear of staying single
So many singletons have this fear, in whatever degree. But it is a valid fear when your every attempt at finding someone falls through, no?
4. Aphenophosmphobia: Fear of intimacy
Yeah, can’t you see how this could be a problem for your relationship?
5. Athagoraphobia: Fear of abandonment
What’s left of you when the one you love leaves you, eh?
6. Athazagoraphobia: Fear of being forgotten, being ignored, or forgetting
Who wants to be forgotten by their lover?
7. Caligynephobia: Fear of beautiful women
Whoa! I wonder how this one manifests?
8. Doxophobia: Fear of expressing opinions or of receiving praise
How hard would it be to have a relationship with such a person? They won’t tell you anything, and the won’t like it if you praise them. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place!
9. Erotophobia: Fear of sexual love or of sexual questions
Sex is one of the most important aspects of a romantic relationship. How difficult it must be to have a healthy relationship with such a person!
10. Gamophobia: Fear of marriage
I’m guessing many people among the millennials suffer from this particular fear.
Suggested read: Sexual orientations you MUST know about in today’s day and age
11. Gynephobia: Fear of women
12. Gymnophobia: Fear of nudity
When you’re in a relationship, you’re bound to see your partner in the buff. But people who have this fear might not get nude, nor would they like to see their partner’s body in the buff.
13. Haphephobia: Fear of being touched
Holding hands, touching your partner’s cheek, touching their arm, or tucking their hair behind their ear – we take all of these common yet sweet gestures for granted. How hard it must be for someone with this phobia to experience even the smallest of touches.
14. Hedonophobia: Fear of feeling pleasure
Eating chocolate is a pleasure, and so is kissing your partner. What happens when people with this phobia do experience pleasure – accidentally, I wonder.
15. Heterophobia: Fear of the opposite sex
Could this be the exact opposite of homophobia?
16. Ithyphallophobia: Fear of an erect ding-dong
17. Kolpophobia: Fear of female genitals
18. Medomalacophobia: Fear of losing one’s erection during intercourse
I think most men experience this fear now and then.
19. Oneirogmophobia: Fear of wet dreams
You can’t really control what you dream about, now, can you?
20. Phallophobia: Fear of male genitals
It’s only legit to fear these when one can fear the female private parts too, eh?
21. Philemaphobia: Fear of kissing
Kissing is one of the sweetest and most pleasurable activities that a couple indulges in. How sad to have missed out on this because of this fear.
22. Philophobia: Fear of falling in love or of being in love
I can’t even… nope.
23. Xocolatophobia: Fear of chocolate
Nuh uh. Just not happening. What is life without chocolate to soothe your broken heart?
Well, that’s our list of unusual phobias that have the potential to totally muck up your love life. Which one of these phobias do you think is the most damaging to a relationship? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Featured image source: Pinterest