My mother has always said that any relationship is built on the foundation of honesty, understanding, and trust, with the last ingredient weighing in more than the first two. Think about it, any relationship, be it a friendship, the relationship you have with your siblings, or even a romantic relationship, is build on trust. If there’s no trust, the relationship doesn’t exist. But with trust, you can truly do great things.
So to instill the importance of trust in a relationship, I’d like to list out a few quotes on trust that have been cited by greats in their field – be it business, relationships, or love. Here goes:
Suggested read: 15 incredibly sad Disney quotes that will make you teary-eyed
1. “He who does not trust enough will not be trusted.” – Lao Tzu
You can say that you trust your partner, but if you hold back on that trust, they won’t trust you fully either. It will always be this half trust, which won’t ever let the relationship reach its true potential.
2. “To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.” – George MacDonald
You can love someone without ever having to trust them, because love just happens. But to trust someone is to put your faith in them, with your eyes wide open, with your heart wide open, with you being vulnerable. See how being trusted is greater than being loved?
3. “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on, I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Trust once broken, is like a shattered mirror. You can piece it together, quite painstakingly too, but it will never be whole.
4. “Friendship – my definition – is built on two things. Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don’t have trust, the friendship will crumble.” – Stieg Larsson
Mutual trust is as important for a friendship as it is for a romantic relationship. There has to be trust between two people who call themselves friends. If there isn’t, then it isn’t a friendship at all.
5. “When mistrust comes in, love goes out.” – Irish proverb
Trust and love go hand in hand in any romantic relationship. You can’t have one without the other, can you?
6. “For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first.” – Suzanne Collins
You might rant and rage that you were betrayed by someone you love, but for that to happen, there must have been trust there. And trust once broken, is very hard to mend.
7. “Trust is built with consistency.” – Lincoln Chafee
How do you build trust in a relationship? By being consistent. Although this seems like a simple statement, think about it – if you’re not consistent in what you do and how you do it, there won’t be room to build trust.
8. “Learning to trust is one of life’s most difficult tasks.” – Isaac Watts
Giving someone your trust easily and that decision coming to bite you in the rear, is an all-too-familiar occurrence for many. But to not lose hope and keep everyone at arm’s length for fear of being hurt, is no way of living either. So you must learn to trust people again, however hard and insurmountable it may seem.
9. “When the trust account is high, communication is easy, instant, and effective.” – Stephen R Covey
This is so true. When you trust someone, you can tell them anything, without fear of being judged or looked down upon. This is such an invaluable thing to possess in any relationship, no?
10. “You must trust and believe in people, or life becomes impossible.” – Anton Chekhov
Imagine a life where you don’t trust anybody but yourself? God! Just thinking about it is making me tired! Just because a few idiots broke your trust, doesn’t mean everybody is out to get you. That’s no way to live. You have to trust people and let them in your life. What is the alternative? Being a shut-in, who doesn’t trust anybody? Who keeps everybody at arm’s length for fear of being betrayed?
11. “Few delights can equal the presence of one whom we trust utterly.” – George MacDonald
This is one of those quotes on trust that is utterly, absolutely, and unequivocally true. Just think about it – if you’re with someone you trust, you can be yourself, you can say anything that comes to mind without fear of being judged, or even looked down upon. You can just… be.
Suggested read: 20 profound quotes on life and love from Internet’s mystery poet Atticus
12. “Love meant jumping off a cliff and trusting that a certain person would be there to catch you at the bottom.” – Jodi Picoult
As I mentioned before, trust is one of the main building blocks of a relationship, and it is even more so when it’s a romantic one. And love is nothing but a leap of faith, which is again based on trust. Unless you take that leap, you won’t know if your trust in the other person is validated or not. But if you fear to even take that leap, then you’ll always be left wondering. Do you want to keep wondering or take that leap? Your choice.
These quotes on trust exemplify the importance of gaining, holding, and honoring the trust that someone else puts in you or that which you put into another’s safekeeping. Either way, trust is the building block of any relationship, without which, there would be no relationship to speak of.