Love quotes are a dime a dozen these days. If you want to impress your beloved with pretty words, why go somewhere else when you have the bard on your side? William Shakespeare, the premier English poet and playwright, is unmatched when it comes to expressing love. In his prolific works, there are numerous comments, lamentations, and observations on the subject, where he touches upon every kind of situation related to love.
Suggested read: 50 cute love quotes that will make you feel LOVED!
So the next time you’re looking for a love quote to woo your beloved, check out these Shakespeare love quotes that are among the best of the best.
1. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is wing’d Cupid painted blind.” – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Because true love beholds more than the eyes can see!
2. “No sooner met but they looked, no sooner looked but they loved, no sooner loved, but they sighed, no sooner sighed but they asked one another the reason.” – As You Like It
A look is enough to seek out that one reason that makes the heart sigh…
3. “Love is like a child, That longs for everything it can come by.” – The Gentlemen of Verona
Because no desire inside a child’s heart is unattainable; as for hearts in love. And each fulfilled one seeks out a reason to birth the next…
4. “Cupid is a knavish lad, thus to make females mad.” – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Because you never know when the rover is on the move to strike!
5. “Hear my soul speak. Of the very instant that I saw you, Did my heart fly at your service.” – The Tempest
It’s true what they say of love…the souls start to sing and the heart wears a wing!
6. “Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs.” – Romeo & Juliet
7. “I love you more than words can wield the matter, Dearer than eyesight, space and liberty.” – King Lear
Because more oft than not, words just don’t cut it…
8. “Speak low if you speak love.” – Much Ado About Nothing
Because ain’t love nothing but the language of hushed whispers?
9. “She loved me for the dangers I had passed, And I loved her that she did pity them.” – Othello
A heart that loves feels for the heart that beats outside of its being…
10. “Love hath made thee a tame snake.” – As You Like It
Umm, maybe some ladies could share in on the secret! 😉
11. “A heart to love, and in that heart, Courage, to make’s love known.” – Macbeth
No love is love unless the lovers send it breathing into the air all around…
12. “For where thou art, there is the world itself, And where thou art not, desolation.” – Henry IV
In my love shrinks the world and in all else, nothingness extends…
13. “She will die if you love her not, And she will die ere she might make her love known.” – Much Ado About Nothing
The dilemma of a loving heart…
14. “Love will not be spurred to what it loathes.” – The Two Gentlemen of Verona
You cannot force love to be where it cannot BE…
15. “Love is begun by time, And time qualifies the spark and fire of it.” – Hamlet
If time births the spark of love, it makes it the raging fire that can burn in lovers forever…
16. “Lovers ever run before the clock.” – The Merchant of Venice
When time stands still and forever is born…
17. “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.” – Romeo & Juliet
Who needs a name when the heart knows who it beats for…
18. “Love comforteth like sunshine after rain.” – Venus and Adonis
There is one heart that will always be home – the heart that loves, and forever will…
19. “And when love speaks, the voice of all the Gods makes heaven drowsy with the harmony.” – Love’s Labour Lost
Try feeling it when the skies pour lovedrops!
20. “I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me.” – Much Ado About Nothing
The wounded heart knows better than to believe lies- and there are so many, spoken in the name of love…
21. “They are in the very wrath of love, and they will go together. Clubs cannot part them.” – As You Like It
In the game of love, you know better than to fold…
22. “I will not be sworn but love may transform me to an oyster.” – Much Ado About Nothing
Love does that to the best of us, no?
23. “Her passions are made of nothing but the finest part of pure love.” – Anthony & Cleopatra
What is love, if not bathed in passion?
24. “The sight of lovers feedeth those in love.” – As You Like It
Coz a heart in love knows no hunger than the one in its soul, craving a glimpse of the only one who can satiate it…
25. “Love is blind, and lovers cannot see, The pretty follies that themselves commit.” – The Merchant of Venice
Oh, the things I do for love… 😉
26. “The course of true love never did run smooth.” – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
You know this already, don’t you?
27. “Alas, that love, so gentle in his view, Should be so tyrannous and rough in proof.” – Romeo & Juliet
Not everything in love is rainbows and roses, there are dangerous storms too!
Suggested read: 35 aww-worthy quotes about kissing that will melt your heart!
28. “To be wise and love, Exceeds man’s might.” – Troilus & Cressida
To be practical in love is a practice that divorces love from you, in practice. That’s what I can swear by, as can Shakespeare!
29. “Is this the generation of love? Hot blood, hot thoughts, and hot deeds? Why, they are vipers. Is love a generation of vipers?” – Troilus & Cressida
30. “You have witchcraft in your lips.” – Henry V
And they cast a spell I can’t seem to shake off!
No matter what situation you find yourself in, trust the bard to have your back. Which of these Shakespeare love quotes touched you and your beloved? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.