For those of us who have battled rough times, we know how oftentimes, it can be all too easy to forget just how strong we are. But no matter how difficult the road, how strenuous the journey and how tiresome the obstacles, we took that first step forward, often laced in fear and incorrigible hope, that we’d make through. And the courage to do that is all that counts.
So, as a tribute to all the brave souls who know what it is to face a challenging time, here are 15 best inspirational quotes that remind us of our indefeasible strength and unyielding bravery:
1. Sometimes you have to face up to your fears to realize that they aren’t actually real.
– Zoe Sugg, Girl Online: On Tour
2. He’d learned long ago that a life lived without risks pretty much wasn’t worth living. Life rewarded courage, even when that first step was taken neck-deep in fear.
– Tamera Alexander, Within My Heart
3. It’s hard to go. It’s scary and lonely…and half the time you’ll be wondering why the hell you’re in Cincinnati or Austin or North Dakota or Mongolia or wherever your melodious little finger-plucking heinie takes you. There will be boondoggles and discombobulated days, freaked-out nights and metaphorical flat tires. But it will be soul-smashingly beautiful… It will open up your life.
– Cheryl Strayed, Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
4. When you’re scared but you still do it anyway, that’s brave.
– Neil Gaiman, Coraline
5. I realized that we are only brave when we have something to lose and we still try. We can’t be brave without fear.
– Muhammad Ali and Hana Yasmeen Ali, The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life’s Journey
6. We were scared, but our fear was not as strong as our courage.
– Malala Yousafzai, I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
7. True confidence involves acknowledging we don’t always feel confident, that we’re not always right or the best, and feeling at peace with that. When we are confident, we have nothing to prove because knowing that for ourselves is enough.
– HANNAH BRAIME, Struggling With Confidence? These 5 Truths Might Help – Becoming Who You Are
8. So pluck up your courage and take that risk! Add another story to the book of your life. Even if it doesn’t go the way you planned or wanted, you’ll still learn from it.
– Neil Patrick Harris, Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography
9. The act of being vulnerable is a courageous act.
– Bryan Reeves, Tell the Truth, Let the Peace Fall Where it May: How Authentic Living Creates the Passion, Fulfillment & Love You Seek
10. So live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted the first time as wrongly as you are about to act now!
– Viktor E. Frankl, Man’s Search for Meaning
11. How often do you think we write our own ending before the story is even finished? How often do we give up on ourselves when our lives are just starting? Things get hard and we immediately back away and assume that means we’re going in the wrong direction, doing the wrong thing. If anything, when the waters get thick, that’s our sign to keep going.
– Rachel Van Dyken, Toxic
12. It seems to me that the less I fight my fear, the less it fights back. If I can relax, fear relaxes, too.
– Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic
13. I find that fear and not wanting to take risks, and staying too comfortable makes people wait. They’ll say, ‘I’ll wait until this happens, I’ll wait until I go to film school, I’ll wait until I have all the money, I’ll wait until they ask me.’ Don’t wait for permission. Seek without permission. There’s nothing to wait for. There’s no one coming. There’s nothing coming to do this for you. You have to do it yourself.
– Ava DuVernay, Balls of Steel
14. When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump. Otherwise you end up staying in the same place your whole life and that I can’t do.
– J. C. Chandor, A Most Violent Year
Suggested read: 20 inspirational quotes about being single that you will LOVE!
15. You can’t just hope for happy endings. You have to believe in them. Then do the work, take the risks.
– Nora Roberts, Dark Witch
Are you ready for the risk?
Which among these best inspirational quotes gets you moving? Tell us in the comments below.