It’s a great feeling when your relationship is going well and you are in love. But then, there is lost love, and nothing feels perfect then. This is when people tend to wallow in self-pity and think that the world is coming to an end. In this stage, it is easy to find solace in quotes about lost love as they pinpoint exactly what you are going through.
It is okay to sulk a little, feel sad, and even shed a few tears. It is all a part of getting through the break up process and there is no two ways about the fact that it’s going to hurt for a while. For all of you who have loved and lost, and are in the process of getting your wits about you: here are a few quotes about lost love that are going to leave you feeling wistful again.
Read them, understand them, feel them, and get over that lost love so you can get back in the game.
1. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” – Washington Irving
This is one of the most profound lost love quotes out there. It is for the people who did not get the love they wanted and are finally giving up on the person that they are expecting it from. It serves as great motivation and lets the ‘loser’ of love feel like the bigger person, as they have been able to let go.
Letting go is never easy, but it’s often necessary in order to move on.
2. “What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you.” – Richard Wilbur
This best applies to the people who are trying to get over a relationship that was ended mutually. Even if the breakup was not anyone’s fault, it can still be difficult for the couple to reason why it actually happened, and both of them may end up feeling lonely as a result.
3. “I know that’s what people say – you’ll get over it. I’d say it, too. But I know it’s not true. Oh, you’ll be happy again, never fear. But you won’t forget. Every time you fall in love, it will be because something in the man reminds you of him.” – Betty Smith
When looking for love again and finding it, there can sometimes be a close resemblance to the person that you once loved. If there is no close resemblance, it could be that you are attracted to the stark contrast from your previous partner. There could be things you love and hate. But there is always this connection that never seems to go away.
4. “Though lovers be lost, love shall not; and death shall have no dominion.” – Dylan Thomas
You can read all the quotes about lost love to pacify yourself, but there is nothing worse than losing your love to death. Here is one for the people who lost their love to death and there is going to be no replacing it.
5. “When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.” – George. R.R. Martin
This is for when one person or both people in the couple are trying to hold onto their relationship, but just cannot do anything to fix it. They need to realize that it is all over, and move on. Sometimes, it is essential that people let go before things get way too sour for both of you and bridges are burned.
6. “It hurts to breathe. It hurts to live. I hate her, yet I do not think I can exist without her.” – Charlotte Featherstone
Quotes about lost love are common, but this one simplifies the state of a person who loves their partner but really do not know how to exist in the relationship in a healthy way. They need to understand that the love is lost already, they are only addicted at this point. And with time, addictions can be rehabilitated.
7. “And he hated himself and hated her, too, for the ruin they’d made of each other.” – Dennis Lehane
This is for all the people who have lost love, but have also lost themselves while they were loving each other. Relationships, if not handled in a healthy way, tend to consume not only time, but also the person itself. This is an indication of a toxic relationship and it is best to get out of it as soon as possible.
8. “I think about you. But I don’t say it anymore.” – Marguerite Duras
This is the stage when the love is lost, and so is the person. One person might have moved on, and the other is still left longing for the love that was. It could also be applicable to the people who get rejected without even experiencing the love, and are trying to hide their feelings from the concerned person and from the world.
9. “The pain started years ago, but I’d lived with it for so long at that point I’d accepted it as an inevitable part of me.” – Ashley D. Wallis
Someone who is still hung up on a long-ago breakup understands this quote better than anyone else. Here they are trying to just accept it as pain and are not willing to understand that moving on is the right thing to do.
It is also true that time does not pass when there is lost love in life. A week seems like a year and the feelings don’t seem to subside.
10. “A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.” – J.S.B. Morse
This is for the motivated ones who have lost love, but do not want to live in self-pity for long. They understand that not all relationships are meant to last and there is a lot more to breakups than just heartbreak. It is the way to go and these are the people who are able to move past their heartbreaks much better than others.
11. “When you run out of love, it is really hard to understand whether you have lost your heart or your heart has lost you.” – Munia Khan
This is for the point of the relationship when one cannot understand what actually went wrong with it. It could be nearing a breakup or it might have broken up already, and one part of the couple is left without a clue.
12. “Lost love is still love. It takes a different form.” – Mitch Albom
This quote about lost love is perfectly applicable to the person who has lost love and knows that the world doesn’t stop just because of this one aspect of life. There are many other things to focus on in the meantime and there is always hope for people when it comes to love. It can be best to stay optimistic about it, and not drown in the loss of love.
13. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” – Jonathan Harnisch
When there is an unexpected end to the relationship with no closure provided, this is when this quote is most applicable. The best way to get past this stage is to get the closure from the other half or even from within yourself and move on.
14. “The things you let go will someday teach you how to fly.” – Jenim Dibie
This quote rings true for those times when lost love leads to a rediscovery of oneself. While letting go of the one you love might seem like the hardest thing to do in the moment, time will help you heal and realize that everything does happen for a reason.
15. “Some memories are painful, yet we smile…” – Danyak
When love is lost, it leaves behind scars, tears, and open wounds. However, give those wounds some time and it becomes clear that the memories of that love will never fail to make you smile. You’ll giggle at the way you loved, you’ll fondly go back to the moments where you let your heart rule over your mind, and you’ll think of that person who made you fall in love and then fly in it.
Suggested read: 25 cutesy quotes about first love to make you nostalgic
Love might not be the easiest to fall into. And it’s even harder to fall out of. In the end, what’s going to count is that you loved while you lived. Getting your heart broken is a part of living, as is getting up, dusting yourself off, and moving on to the next adventurous journey that’s coming your way.
And think about it, you are now more prepared for the journey. You might have become slightly weaker from the wear. So give yourself that time to recover and set off into the world with a stronger, more experienced heart.
Lost love isn’t always about the losing. It’s about loving, despite the loss. After all, isn’t it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?