On 20 October 1995, the way India saw, perceived and experienced love, changed forever. A whole generation of lovers was influenced by one cinematic landmark, which redefined what was acceptable and what was not. Mumbai’s Maratha Mandir has become forever associated with this film, given the duration for which it played a show.
So why did it succeed? Was it because it painted the perfect fairytale – boy gets the girl and they live happily ever after, ALONG with parental approval? Was it because it was the ultimately potent blend of traditional and modernity – boy and girl get to cavort in pristine Switzerland, but they also are rooted in Indian values?
Yes, we are referring to DDLJ (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge). Books have been written about the movie, which was made on a budget of about INR 4 crore and went on to break all box office records. The shy and reclusive director, Aditya Chopra, who got married to Rani Mukherji just a few months ago, has still remained an enigma to the media. Shah Rukh Khan still rules the roost in Bollywood, churning out blockbusters even as he steps into the sixth decade of his life.
Yash Raj Films released a trailer to celebrate this landmark occasion.
Here are 10 unforgettable lines from the movie:
1. Bade bade deshon mein aisi choti choti baatein hoti rehti hai
2. Agar yeh tujhe pyar karti hai to yeh palat ke dekhegi….palat…palat!
3. Sapne dekho, zaroor dekho….Bas unke poore hone ki shart mat rakho
4. Jaa Simran…jaa jeele apni zindgi….jaa beta jaa!
5. Main ek Hindustani hoon, aur main jaanta hoon ki ek Hindustani ladki ki izzat kya hoti hai
6. Ek pal me beta bana liya….aur doosre hi pal mein paraya kar diya
7. Toh kya hua agar main jhoot sirf tumhe pane ke liye kaha tha, toh kya hua agar tumhare chehre ke sivah mujhe koi aur chehra dikhai nahi deta, toh kya hua agar tumhare naam ke sivah mujhe koi aur naam yaad nai rehta, toh kya hua agar yeh awara tumhe deewano ki tarah pyar karta hai, toh kya hua…pyar sab kuch toh nai hota na!
8. Koi bhi ullu ka patha sirf ek angoothi pehnakar tumko mujhse nahi chheen sakta….tum meri ho, sirf meri
9. Jab ladki jawan ho jaati hai na….toh maa uski maa nahi rehti….saheli ban jaati hai
10. Agar tum galat raastey par chaloge…toh ho sakta hai shuruvat mein tumhe bahut kamyabi mile, bahut khushiya mile….magar anth mein tumhari haar hogi, aur agar sahi raastey par chaloge, toh bhale hi shuruvat mein tumhe kadam kadam par thokarein mile, musibaton ka samna karna pade, pareshani ho….magar anth mein hamesha jeet hogi
Tell us your favorite dialogues from the movie in the comments below!