With love in the air, it is definite that you are going to take a trip to Sephora to get that perfect red lipstick to go with the dress you picked to sweep him off his feet! After all, the one thing that switches your look from cute to hot is the red lippie!
But before you leap into this ‘trend to try,’ you need to know if you are equipped to pick out the perfect shade to rock a red lip. Fret not, if you are worried those Youtube hacks shall still teach you naught because with Valentine’s day round the corner, we just couldn’t help doling out a how-to piece on figuring your go-to red shade for the lips he cannot help but kiss! So, without further ado, here’s your ready-to-use NLT guide on getting yourself the perfect red lipstick that’s made just for you…
1. Fair complexion- People with fair complexion usually have a pink-based undertone. As such any shade of red that picks up on the pink of their complexion and makes their smiles pop is a goo fit. Blue-based or pink-based reds like raspberry are a case in point.
Image source: vogue
Our favorite picks for the fair peeps out there:
Bold, NARS Audacious Lipstick in Annabella
Sheer, MAKE UP FOREVER Rouge Artist Natural in N45
Matte, Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Fiery
Suggested read: 12 stunning ways to pull off the brown lipstick
2. Light complexion– Light complexions usually have a yellow-based undertone and as such, need to opt for orange-based reds. These hues pick up on the golden undertones and brighten their complexion further, making the red on their lips stand out.
Image source: NYT
Our favorite picks for those with a light complexion are:
Bold, Yves Saint Laurent ROUGE PUR COUTURE Lipstick Collection Color 56 Orange Indie
Sheer, Sephora Collection Rouge Shine lipstick Color No. 32 Serial Dater
Matte, Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick in Rogue Red
3. Medium complexion– People with a medium complexion tend to pick or lose a tan easily. As such, it is advisable that they switch from orange-based reds in summers to blue-based reds in the winters so that each shade can complement their skin tone as they soak the sun or cozy up by the fire respectively.
Image source: Glamour
Our favorite picks for summer would involve:
Bold, NARS Audacious Lipstick in Lana
Sheer, Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Crème in Raven
Matte, Kat Von D Studded Lipstick in Countess
Image source: Glamour
Winter would call out to the following shades:
Bold, NARS Audacious Lipstick in Rita
Sheer, Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipstick in F-Bomb
Matte, Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in Rose Crazy 202
4. Olive complexion– With a yellow-green skin tone, the people with an olive complexion need shades of red that shall augment the allure of their bronze tone. As such the colors that instantly pop in mind are the murkier, earthy reds like a brick or rust red. These shades blend in seamlessly with the skin tone and enhance its appeal.
Image Source: Elle
Our favorite picks for the olive-complexioned people would be:
Bold, NARS lipstick in Fire Down Below
Sheer, Yves Saint Laurent Volupte Sheer Candy-Glossy Balm Crystal Color in Sweet Fig 07
Matte, Smashbox Be Legendary Matte Lipstick in Made It
5. Caramel complexion– Caramel complexions work well with true reds. Think a cheerful cherry red or bright crimson. These hues tend to pick on the warmth of your yellow undertone and radiate brightness, too hard to miss!
Image source: Byrdie
Our favorite picks for you’d be:
Bold, Smashbox Be Legendary Cream Lipstick in Legendary
Sheer, Lancome Shine Lover Vibrant Shine Lipstick in Color 140 Corail Lover
Matte, Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso
6. Golden dusky complexion– For the dusky darlings out there, playing with reds can become an adventure. When opting for a bold look, they can experiment with true reds while an understated elegant, yet natural look could steer them in the direction of plums or other blue-based reds. Either way, most reds are in the playground as long as they know to work out the correlations between their yellow undertone and the red they pick.
Image source: Stylebistro
Our favorite picks for the times you are in the mood to ‘toy’ include:
Bold, Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in Color 42 Satin Vermolion Red
Sheer, Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Crème Lipstick in Icon
Matte, Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick in Classified Crimson
And a couple more when you just want to get ready and go..
Bold, Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Lip Crème Lipstick in Color 226 Scandal
Sheer, Dior Rouge Baume in Color 988 Nuit Rose
Matte, Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Potion
Suggested read: 16 makeup tips and tricks for people who wear glasses
7. Deep complexion– These exotic beauties need to experiment with blue-based reds like Merlots to bring out a natural, refined look. However, a once-in-a-while toying with an orange wildfire shade to make the pout pop isn’t a crime.
Image source: Instyle
Our favorite picks for you gorgeous lassies are:
Bold, NARS Lipstick in Scarlet Empress
Sheer, Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipstick in Shame
Matte, NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Valparaiso
Now go, rock the red, love!
Yes, you are welcome- ooh, that air kiss… mmmuuuaaah! :*
Featured image source: abeautyhub